Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Our Word
There are many ways to describe "our word." It could be described as a promise, a commitment, a contract, an indenture, and on the list goes. Whatever the word used, giving our word involves a voluntary transfer of rights for a period of time obliging some asset (time, item, etc.), and providing an assurance of trust through the designated transaction.

A common promise is in marriage, another in mortgages or credit cards. Yet another promise many of us make is to God. "I promise to love you and follow you." Those words often echo as an indictment of our lives fractured by sin.

Another promise parents make is to protect their children and family. "Daddy, I'm afraid," or "Mommy, it's dark in here. Please hold my hand." Loving and protecting our kids pulses in our veins like a raging river. That passion and intent is placed there by God reflecting his attribute of being The Protector.

Not that long ago, our children were learning to ride bikes. The first was Ellen, our oldest. I was so concerned for her safety that I had her wrapped up with multiple layers of coats, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, and a helmet. She could hardly walk let alone get on a bike. Was I so inclined, I could have just laid her on her side and rolled her down the street. Forget the bicycle! What I knew was that she would have to fall off a cliff to get hurt. Fall from a bike? No problem!

I hoisted her onto the little pink bike with streamers on the handlebars. I held the back fender and ran alongside her to steady the craft. Soon she was peddling and moving more quickly than I could run....but I couldn't let go.  I feared for her that a tumble would occur and I had promised her she would be safe. Realizing I couldn't keep up, with every ounce of my being and determination, I let go. And like a bird flying from its nest for the first time, she rode off into the sunset, smiling and pumping those peddles for all she was worth. She managed to make a broad sweeping turn and stop right next to me.

Then I heard a compelling question come from under the layers of hoods, clothes and helmet. "Daddy, can I take some coats off? It's hot!" .....Ah yes, I guess it was July.

To understand the power and importance of keeping our word, we need to look no further than to God himself. You see, promises always have a cost. In marriage the cost is selflessness and sacrifice. With mortgages it is to make the payments we have committed to and to protect the property being bonded. The cost is financial, though for many providing their financial obligations require sacrifice. With God, our cost is everything. We must pursue him and him only.

And what was the cost for God to secure our future and save us from sin? His precious, precious Son. His beloved, righteous and true Son. He tore the curtain separating the Holy of Holies from the temple courts as a Father tearing his robes in grief. There could be no greater sacrifice.

Thank you Father for your Son, Jesus Christ. He is risen and reigning on high. May his name be revered throughout the heavens and earth, and may our lives be a reflection of his amazing grace. God, our desire is to honor you as promise keepers, knowing that you are ever with us, growing us, and forming us into people that reflect your glory. And thank you that you are The Promise Keeper. You have secured us and you will always be with us, even in death. Help us to count the cost of following you, to pick up our cross and to pursue you with our whole being. We were bought with a price, we are no longer our own. We are children of The King.
Amen

Shannon

The Cost of Being a Disciple
Luke 14:25-35

25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters?yes, even their own life?such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won't you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, 'This person began to build and wasn't able to finish.'

31 "Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won't he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

34 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out. "Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear."

No comments:

Post a Comment